Parish Pastoral Council
The parish Pastoral Council is called by the parish to serve as consultant to the pastor in assuring that all aspects of parish life reflect the mission and ministry of Jesus: As a community of faith: to teach, to pray, and to serve one another, especially those in need.
The parish Pastoral Council is consultative to the pastor and uperates under the principles of shared responsibility and accountability. In keeping with its purpose of continuing the mission of Jesus, the parish Pastoral Council strives:
- to become a praying community and by this example to lead the parish to a fuller life of prayer
- to be sensitive to the movement of the Spirit among the People of God in the parish
- to be truly representative of all members of the parish in planning and decision-making
- to support the pastor in his role as shepherd of the parish
- to foster unity in the parish
- to encourage full participation of parishioners in parish life
- to promote on-going dialogue among the pastoral staff, parishioners and the various parish organizations
Parish Finance Council
The parish Finance Council has an advisory and consultative role to the Pastor related to the finances and financial operation the parish. The Finance Council members are appointed by the Pastor and may be re-appointed or terminated in this role by the Pastor. They should generally be chosen from the parish community based on demonstrable skills or expertise in management and/or financial issues. The council meets at least quarterly.
The Pastor consults with the Finance Council on the following matters, although he remains the juridic authority for final decision:
- Any commitment of parish resources in excess of $10,000.00,
- The management of all funds which the parish is authorized to retain and manage,
- At the minimum, review of the Annual Budget and Annual Parish Report before submission to the Diocesan Office for Finance. To the extent practical, he shall be involved in the preparation of both reports, particularly the Budget report,
- The Finance Council shall provide assistance and review in the formulation of the Parish Report to the parish community, as required by Canon 1287.Other responsibilities may include:
- Review monthly/quarterly financial reports and their adherence to the budget and determine large variances.
- Coordinate all fund-raising activities.
- Financial management (i.e. purchasing and operating expenditures, and personnel).
- Facilities management (i.e. preventive maintenance, complying with inspection reports and capital expenditures).
- Maintain and monitor an adequate system of internal financial controls (i.e. maintaining written policies, reviewing job responsibilities for nonteaching employees, reviewing bank reconciliations, having the pastor/parochial administrator as signatory on all bank accounts).
- Advise on qualifications of bookkeeper/accountant.
- To meet all requirements of federal and state tax laws and maintain an accurate record of payment.
- To safeguard the assets of the parish from loss or damage through cooperation and consultation with the Director of Property and the Director of Insurance.
- To implement all diocesan policies relative to financial matters.
- Long-range administration planning.
- To assist with the recording of capital expenditures and depreciation expense adjustments.